Tuesday, March 8, 2011

On Sharing Talents

According to Merriam-Webster, the word "talent" has about five different definitions. One of them is 'a special...aptitude'.  While broad, this definition is so applicable to many areas of J's and my lives.  Last week I talked about my talent for making paper crafts, and I've talked before about cake decorating, too.  But I also think that according to this definition, I have a bit of a talent for Microsoft Office, too (after helping our priest with the layout for our parrish's lenten meditations, I think he would agree). 

J has a ton of talents as well, like remembering conversations word for word well after they've taken place (for him, this is a great talent; not so much for me...).  One talent that J really only recently realized he has is a talent for cooking.  I love sharing stories of the meals that he has created on here, and we love sharing his food with our friends, but I think the most special use of his talent is sharing it with our fellow parishoners at St. Raphael's.  Tonight, J is heading up a group of men in providing pancakes and breakfast meats at our Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper.  Shrove Tuesday Pancake Suppers are a tradition in our denomination (and others, too) as a last blast before Lent starts.  J has been working on recipes for weeks, and spent hours at church last night prepping everything. 

I think it's great to be talented at something, but isn't it greater still to share your talents with others?  I love my husband.

No comments: