Sunday, February 6, 2011

This little light of mine

I just wrote a huge long post about today's sermon in church, which was heavily based on the verse in Matthew, chapter 5 about letting your light shine so that others might know God's love (major paraphrase, if you're interested, Google "Matthew, Chapter 5, Let your light shine). But you know what? I'm not a preacher. My attempts at making sense of the sermon and applying it to my life are sorely lacking.

In a nutshell, I think my take-away is this--God knows how people feel. Through Jesus, he's been here, listened, shared, experienced ever human emotion there is. Our role is to be there for others, to listen and share in the experiences of others in the way Jesus did for his contemporaries. For me, at least, the role is to be present, not just with my husband, but with everyone.

So this week, at least, I'm going to work on that. I'm going to listen when others talk, not just half-way while planning out my grocery list in my head, but all the way, the way Jesus would. Wish me luck; I'll let you know next week how it goes.

No comments: