Saturday, January 1, 2011

January 1

J and I haven't set any goals or chosen a quote for 2011 yet, but I mentioned one personal goal to him last week that requires sharing now. I've been saying I want to blog more consistently for a while now (really, who am I kidding? Consistent blogging has been the totally procrastinated on goal since Post 1.), and in an effort to get there for real this time, I am going to attempt to blog daily this year.

I've no idea how long I'm going to keep this up, but I figure I should at least start on January 1 if I have any hope of getting there. So...more than 22 hours into the new year, I'm finally getting my first post of 2011 up.

SO... *drums fingers and glances anywhere but the computer screen*

I already shared that we don't have resolutions ready to share (procrastinating on making resolutions means you sound better when it's late January before your break them, you know...). I pretty much shared yesterday that there's no news on the home renovations front. (No Dad, I don't have a dissertation topic to write about.) I guess the only thing left to share is job news.

In short, some folks expressed surprise that I was working this weekend. Things like, "Oh, I thought all the gift wrapping jobs ended a week ago!" They did, but I seem to have impressed the folks at WS. The manager asked me to stay on after the holidays to work visuals (make things pretty) for a shift or two a week. It's like gift wrapping, but now I'm making whole sections of the store pretty!

What's funny (kind of funny ha-ha; kind of funny ironic) is that I've seen more GS volunteers in the last two days than I saw all of December (maybe because they let me out of the back room, but anyway...). Okay, that's not the funny part. The funny part is that these were women I worked very hard to impress with my professional job, even when it was a bear to hold together that professional persona. Now, they're running into me windexing a liquid soap display and stacking meatball starter (who knew there was such a thing?!). Unhappy, perfectionist me reared her ugly head for a moment to point out that I'm not a professional making use of my decade of college/grad school. But as soon as she did, I realized that 'gosh darnit, I'm SO much happier now'.

I don't know that there isn't a job out there that will make use of my degrees AND allow me to live a happy life. There probably is. Until I stumble upon it, though, I'll take windex and meatball starter. And a blog to share the stories of my days on.

2 comments:

Becky said...

this really resonated with me. It is hard, when you've got that education behind you, to not use it. But those letters, well, they just don't equal happiness. I'm so glad you've found it :)

JE Melton said...

Thank you so much Becky!! I think that the realization will be an on-going and much-repeated one, but I treasure the peace that comes with it!