Saturday, May 12, 2012

Saturday smells like...Elbow grease...and bananas

J and I are enjoying one of those incredibly rare weekends when nothing is on our calendar.  Since J's knee prevents my typical response to this kind of weekend (let's go adventuring!!), we decided to stay home and see what trouble we could get into around the house.
Considering that it is just now mid-afternoon (and that we slept until late morning), we've found a lot to get into!  I finished off the back door project (the one I started back in March), and J did the necessary 'Spring start-up' work to get our container gardens ready for the summer growing season.  J made us banana smoothies for breakfast (brunch? lunch?  It was after 12:30 when we had them...and anyway, Zeppelin had most of J's after he set it down on the deck for a minute.), and I started laundry (currently washing the fourth load of, I'm just guessing here, seven to be done).  We found the smoothie recipe in my new WW Fruits and Veggies cookbook.  Incredibly easy, I've put the recipe at the bottom of this post.  I gave J a much-needed haircut, and he's currently in the kitchen working on stock for something.
Still to do today?  Finish the laundry before it rains (and puts a stop to laundry-doing so the sump pump can do its job) and grocery shopping.  I am absolutely delighted at much we've gotten done today!

Mine is on the left, J's on the right.  Both glasses were filled to the brim with one serving.
Banana Smoothie--We started with the WW recipe, but y'all know J tweaked it a bit!
Peel & slice a banana; wrap in plastic wrap freeze 30 minutes
Put in blender (J used our food processor) with 1/2 cup fat free milk (J used 2%, which we had on hand), 2 ice cubes (or three...), and a few drops vanilla extract (J used our Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract from Williams-Sonoma--yum!!)  (also, J added a pinch of sea salt)
WW suggested sprinkling with unsweetened cocoa powder, but we don't have any of that on hand, so I drank mine plain.  It tasted like a great banana milkshake.  J added a dollop of peanut butter, a drizzle of honey, and a little nutmeg to his, and it tasted like a peanut butter milkshake.
As printed in the book, this recipe has 4 WW PointsPlus.  The way J made mine added up to 5 WW PointsPlus.  Since I didn't watch him make his smoothie, I'm hesitant to estimate the points in his version, but I'm sure it added at least two or three points to my total.

No comments: