Remember back in March when I decided that our back door should really match the rest of the doors/shutters at the MP? I ran to HD on a whim and bought black exterior paint and threw up a first coat on a pretty afternoon. After the first coat, it pretty much looked like this:
And it stayed that way for a couple of months. To be fair, it cooled off...and then got really hot...and I got really busy...and really, we all know I don't have the longest attention span when it comes to projects around the MP. At all.
Well, last week I came up with an awesome new project (for our bedroom...which is its own graveyard of not quite finished projects). In a moment of restraint, I decided it might please J if I would finish a project before starting a new one. So Friday afternoon I pulled out the tape so I could do some detail work on the door, as well as give it a second coat.
Rather than tape off the glass, I just painted right onto it. After everything was nice and dry, I went out Saturday morning with a razor blade to slice a clean line at the edge of the window and scrape everything clean. It was actually useful because the previous owners left some paint behind on the inside of the glass when they painted the doors to sell the house. It's nice to know that the glass is actually clean on both sides now.
So previously, the doors were white, and the trim around the doors was green, which matched the back of the house. When we painted the back of the house off-white a few years ago, I decided not to paint the trim around the door (not just trim, it's a funky four inch inset area). I didn't know what color the doors would be changed to, but I knew that I wanted them to match the trim/inset so that it would all just blend together. I really like the way it all turned out.
Ignore the mess on the deck that's reflected in the door. That's just a preview of tomorrow's blog post!
Have a great week!