Saturday, January 7, 2012

Saturday smells like... lettuce wrapped echiladas

It was late last night before I took the time to let myself be hungry.  Too late, really.  Well, too late to have gone without a snack.With this whole point counting thing, I'm hesitant to just randomly snack on any stray cookie.  Even though I've not come close to using up the "extra" points they give you, I'm still all about being careful.  Until I'm starving.  Then I'm still careful, but I'm also a little grumpy and snappy.  There was a recipe for enchiladas in my weight watchers cookbook that interested me, but we didn't have tortillas.  And in my hungry state, I wasn't about to let J embark on tortilla making.  Instead, we decided to use romaine heart leaves instead.  So the recipe (our recipe; not exactly the one in the book after J got involved):

1 pound ground beef, browned
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pkt taco seasoning
2/3 cup water
2 8oz. cans of tomato sauce
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
green onion for garnish
lettuce leaves

Brown the ground beef, drain, add the taco seasoning and 2/3 cup water and simmer.  Add in the onions and garlic.  Simmer a little more.  Add tomato sauce, bring to boil, then simmer for five minutes.  While simmering, add in some random herbs and spices you think might add something.  Seriously, I'm not sure what J was adding, but he promised it wouldn't add points.  After five minutes, remove from heat and stir in cheese.  Dish into lettuce leaves.  Garnish with green onion.


One serving is about one cup.  In the picture above, there are two servings (I was seriously hungry and thought I needed that much.  I didn't.  I barely finished it.).

Oh, and then discover that your lettuce leaves weren't quite right and attack the dish with a fork and knife.  J didn't even try; he just tore his lettuce and served it like a naked taco salad (below).  But I'm certain that the lettuce wrap idea is still possible.

No comments: