Tuesday, January 3, 2012

How to...remember this year forever

A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon a project on Design*Sponge that really struck me as a great idea.  It's a perpetual calendar/journal, and I ended up making one for myself as well as one each for my friends K & B as Christmas gifts. 

I pretty much followed the directions in the Design*Sponge post, so if you'd like to make your own, I encourage you to click over there.  The big differences for me were the monthly dividers (I cut up a sturdy calendar with beautiful pictures) and the container used.  Any rectangular container without a lid will work; I used metal boxes I found at Dollar Tree and took the lids off. 

The biggest concern from my recipients has been how to record your day in just a few words.  They're right; it isn't easy.  But, this is why it's worth it--  The cards I used have 13 lines on them.  If I use half the card to describe my day, then the calendar/journal becomes worthless in two years when the cards are full.  If I keep each day to one line, then I've got a useful calendar/journal for 13 years.  Certainly, if you're a journaler (is that even a word?), you'll want to keep your regular journal at hand.  This is more helpful for reflecting and remembering year after year.

No comments: