Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thankful Thursday--July 14

Okay, so call me crazy (J already has said as much, so it really won't hurt my feelings), but I think I heard God's whisper at Hoopla this weekend.  God's whisper at an event celebrating capitalism?  (Yeah, that's what J said.)  I know how it sounds, but when I shared it with our priest today, his response was that Moses didn't really expect to hear God from a burning bush, so it's clear He uses any means available.  (So while not my official thankful point this week, I'm also thankful to Fr. Johnnie for pointing that out to me!)

It does seem kind of crazy, but several statements that several people made just kind of all came together for me in this incredibly clear message.  First, another stylist shared her Why--her reason for selling Stella & Dot.  Now, I'd heard lots of women share that they sell for the financial security or stability it offers and it hasn't much moved me before.  I mean, yes, I'd like to be contributing more to our bottom line and reducing the stress that my hobbies sometimes place on our budget, but Naomi's Why (which had nothing to do with family finances, by the way) crystalized that sentiment for me.  I realized that I have this terrible habit of sitting back and worrying about finances but letting J do most of the work to relieve my worry.  Not a terribly nice realization to come to, I guess, but an awesome one to come to when the solution is so plainly in front of your face.  So I'm thankful for that.

I'm thankful, too, for a couple of statements made during a workshop on time management that I attended.  Now, I've been pretty lackadaisical about promoting my business.  When I have, it's typically come with worry.  I like being a Stylist and Brand Ambassador.  I don't know if I want to be a Director.  Now, even if you know nothing about Stella & Dot, I bet you know that there are a few career levels between Stylist and Director.  What on earth am I worrying about being a Director for?  Talk about putting the cart before the horse!  We were encouraged not to worry about things we don't need to worry about (like whether or not I want to be a Director).  Later in the presentation, someone shared that you should pace your work as if you are one career level higher than you are.  Now, as much as I've worried about not wanting to be (or even work at) Director-level, I have no worries about being (or working as) a Senior Stylist.  What a wonderful God-Whisper to be reminded that He will not give me more than I can handle, but that He will always give exactly what He knows I can acheive! 

So there you go, even at a conference celebrating style and jewelry and capitalism, God can still find ways to whisper, if we're just open to listening.  I'm so thankful that I got to experience that!

What are you thankful for this week?

1 comment:

Becky said...

Good job being open and listening!