Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thankful Thursday--December 1

This week, I'm struggling with being thankful.  If you read yesterday's post, you know that we're having car troubles.  Apparently both of our cars are in worse shape than we'd anticipated, and it seems that our days without car payments are limited.  While it's fun to imagine owning an SUV, actually owning one, complete with the car payment that it would come with, is something else.  But, I'm still thankful that we can swing the resources to have had a rental, and I'm thankful to have Sandy back, too.

I'm thankful, too, for my big brother, who celebrates a birthday tomorrow.  He and his family have had a rough year (earthquakes and tsunami and nuclear threat definitely constitute a worse week than I've had), and they've come through it so well.  They are such a reminder to me to be thankful for my blessings.

Finally, I'm thankful for my boss, Fr. Johnnie. The other day, I was really frustrated by a glitch in a computer program I was using.  I'd struggled with it for a good twenty minutes before I gave up in frustration.  I stomped into his office and asked if he had something I could throw.  His response?  He handed me a small statue of Jesus and said "here, throw Jesus.  Will that make you feel better?"  What on earth can you say to that?  It was such an awesome blend of 1. pointing out that my issue was small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, and 2. being just generally so ludicrous that I had to break into laughter.  I went back into my office thankful for his sense of timing and humor and figured out a solution in just a few minutes.  I don't think I've ever had that sort of working situation, and I'm so thankful for it.

What are you thankful this week?

No comments: