Sunday, December 11, 2011

The longest day ever

Success!  I think I've finally figured out how to slow down time!  Yes, I know, the Nobel Prize folks will be calling any minute for the details.  (*Smirk*  Oh, did I mention you should have been reading this post with tongue planted firmly in cheek?) 

See, I mentioned last week that I had a bit of a virus.  I think I also mentioned my sucess at self-diagnosis and that I dropped by the doctor when it seemed to get worse.  I've fought sinus infections before, and I knew I needed help to get through the mountain of a Saturday I'd planned for myself (Pancakes with Santa at work, followed by a day-long vendor fair selling Stella & Dot, followed by three--yes, three--Christmas gatherings).  Quite frankly, that kind of Saturday would have done me in on a good day.  On a sick day, I was too out of it to realize that it was really too much to tackle.  I valiently 'manned up' and made it through.  I even had fun.

Then I woke up to the Slowest. Day. Ever.  Zep woke me at 7:00 a.m.  I let him out.  I let him in.  I fell back asleep for hours.  Zep woke J and me up at 8:00 a.m.  He let Zep out.  We both fell back asleep for hours.  We woke back up at 8:45.  In a flash, J was dressed and ready for church.  I moved like molasses in the direction of getting dressed.  After hours, J stopped my efforts, brought me medicine and sent me back to bed.  I lay there for 30 minutes or so, then called to give him all of the reminders I would have shared with folks at church had I been there.  And then I fell asleep for hours.

At 11:00 I woke feeling somewhat refreshed.  I was very still for the next hour and a half, but determined that I could, perhaps, wrap gifts for at least a little while.  I went to W-S, explained my situation to the manager and received her blessing to wrap as long as I could, then go home.  I wrapped for hours.  (Seriously. I was congratulating myself on my ability to muscle through and even briefly thought that perhaps what I'd needed all along was to be in the trenches of retail at Christmas time.  Sure I got woozy a few times, and needed to sit down once or twice, but I got tons of gifts wrapped and on their way.) And then the manager told me to go home.  I went to clock out.  It wasn't even 3:00.  I'd only been there for two hours.  I considered that maybe the timeclock was wrong.

I went home. I ate some lunch.  I stayed awake for a LONG time.  By 5:00, I was asleep.  I slept for hours.  I woke up at 7:00.  As I type this, my eyes are getting droopy--a sure sign I'll be asleep within minutes. 

I'm still not certain how I've been asleep all day (really, I've been asleep half the day) and still gotten things done.  Maybe it's the meds, but I prefer to think I've crossed into another dimension where time really does slow down...

No comments: