Monday, September 19, 2011

Winning Weekend

Some weekends are just good, and I think most of those happen in the fall.  Why?  Probably because it is my favorite season and I just enjoy it more.  I don't know.  But anyhow, I thought I'd share our weekend with y'all.

Friday night, we met friends for supper at a new TexMex place in town called Chuys.  This is a chain that started in Texas and is actually pretty good.   Now, it certainly won't replace our local Mexican place, but the chips and salsa were great (I think both were made fresh on-site). 

Saturday, J let me sleep in, then we headed out to the walking path.  The weather was beautiful and it's been entirely too long since we exercised regularly.  We got back from the walk in time for me to run over to church for a women's group movie afternoon (Thank goodness "everyone is welcome" at St. R, because I'm sure they'd have turned me away without my shower otherwise!).  We finished the day at Devine's Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch.  Now, I'd seen a few commercials for this farm, located about 45 minutes away in Mercer County, and was charmed by the idea of a nightly bonfire with s'mores.  The only problem was that, other than the corn mazes (yes, multiple mazes!), most of the activities seemed kid-focused.  Not a problem, we called our friend Becky and asked to borrow the Superkid for the evening.  We all had a fabulous time on the jumping pillow, tri-cycle race course, rubber ducky races, slides, etc.  In addition, a hayride and pumpkin (pick-your-own at a the pumpkin patch that the hay ride takes you out to) are included in the cost of admission, which isn't always the case.  The only problem with taking Superkid with us was that his bedtime corresponds with darkness, and the bonfire isn't lit until dark.  So, while I wouldn't trade getting to participate in any of the 'kid' activities, we might have to head back out there for a fire and s'mores!



The Superkid leading the way through the corn maze. Actually, according to him, the ear of corn in his left hand led us out of the maze!
 
J and me, with the Superkid, on the hay ride.
Sunday was another busy day (though not quite as busy as Saturday).  J and I each went in to work before church, then headed to Harry's for football and nachos.  I left right after nachos to head downtown for the Walk to End Alzheimers.  Two of The Girl's dad suffers from early onset Alzheimers, and one of them decided to create a team to raise money for Alzheimers research.  Several of us actually walked with her team a couple of years ago in Cincinnati.  This year, she couldn't make the Cincy walk and decided to do it in Lexington, instead.  I was so happy I could walk with her and her family again.  After the walk, I watched a little football with J, had a great trip to Michael's (between sales and coupons, I saved something like $40--more than 50%!), and spent the rest of my day curled up on the couch. 

How was your weekend?

No comments: