Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thankful Thursday--September 1

If you know us, you know that Autumn is our favorite season of the year.  And if you know me really well, you know what I'm thankful for today--September 1 is the first day of meteorlogical fall!!  Now, we're heading into a couple days in the mid-90's, so I'm not actually expressing thanks for crisp, cooler mornings or anything, but I am thankful for the promise of those cool days!

In related thankfulness, I'm thankful for my friend Cooter, who is a farmer in Western Kentucky.  When I commented to him the other day how hard it is to drive past a tobacco farm on my way to work and know that this type of tobacco isn't going to be fire cured, it makes me miss home so much.  He knew exactly what I was talking about and shared with me how to re-create the smell I miss so much this time of year (For those of you who don't know, dark fired tobacco is cured this time of year in Western Kentucky.  In Central Kentucky, they hang the tobacco in huge barns to air cure.  But in Western Kentucky, they pack it tight together and hang it in very small barns.  Then, they close up the barns and light a fire on the floor that kind of smokes and smolders while the smoke cures the tobacco.  It smells delicious, especially on a foggy fall morning!).  And if all goes as I hope, I'll be thankful for my husband who has promised to run over to a tobacco store on his lunch break to search for the kind of tobacco that I can use to re-create the smell here at the MP.

Finally, I'm thankful for my new job and co-workers (both the paid and volunteer variety).  I am officially one month in at this point, and it has passed so quickly and easily!  I was nervous about going back to work, but I know that this was the right decision for us.  I'm pretty thankful for the opportunity.

What are you thankful for this week?

No comments: