Friday, August 26, 2011

Waaahhhh!

Okay, so let me preface this by saying that I know there are folks who have it much worse than me.  I know that there are earthquakes and hurricanes and injury and death and all sorts of awful things going on.  I'm aware of those things, and I pray that the injuries and death and damage to much of the east coast this weekend are minimal. 

All that said, I was really looking forward to sharing our plans for the weekend with you today.  Like, I was really, really excited about them. 

What plans?  I signed us up to go canoeing on the Elhorn Creek.  Visit the website for Canoe Kentucky to learn more about it, and you'll see why I was so excited.  Click on the "water conditions" link and you'll see why those hopes were dashed.  The creek is especially low, and we've not had enough rain in the last month to make it possible for small, active people to get through the route without having to get out and push their canoe 'four or five times'.  Y'all know J and I are not small (or even on the small-ish side).  I shared that with the owner and she replied that if we were hoping to just float along with the current and enjoy the creek, Saturday is not the day to do it.  Crushed.

The owner tried to help by suggesting we look into the Kentucky River route (in twenty feet of water, there would be no chance of anyone, even us, dragging the bottom).  I'll be honest, I was kind of 'meh' about it.  It costs more and there's no current, so we'd be working for every moment of it.  Also, this route goes through downtown Frankfort, which is great for sight-seeing, but not really the relaxing day on the creek I'd pictured in my head.

Then, I spotted the guided Kentucky River tour.  Y'all!  You get to lock through a lock built in the 1800's!  I've never even been in a 'modern' lock--this one sounds awesome!  So I called Allison back with my new plan.  Which was when I learned that there is a fundraiser Saturday night that has cancelled the guided tour.  Seriously?!?  Allison noted that we could come back any time (well, to the creek after we get some rain or to the guided tour any Friday or Saturday), but then she remembered that the lock closes after Labor Day.  So...we have four days left to actually go through the lock.  One of those days I'll be at a wedding; one of those days I'll be sailing with my youth group; one of those days I have other plans.  That leaves us with Labor Day.  We'll see.

In the mean time, I'm plan-less for Saturday.  Since I've been out of town the last few weekends, I really wanted to plan something fun for us to do, hence my crushing sadness when my 'perfect' plan went south.  I'll let you know what we end up with!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Seriously all of us don't count as "plans"?! (little tear of rejection...)