Saturday, August 27, 2011

Saturday smells like...Fresh tomatoes

Seriously, y'all.  There simply cannot be a better taste in the world than a homegrown tomato.  Specifically (since we've not dug into the Better Boys yet), a Rutgers heirloom tomato.  I had tomatoes put on a sandwich at Subway yesterday, and they were just so...tasteless (Really.  Completely without flavor.)! 

This week, we've eaten our tomatoes in salads, in homemade spaghetti sauce (with spaghetti squash and sausage from our good friend Cooter...which I guess makes it homegrown sausage, too...), and sliced with fresh homegrown basil and cream cheese.  I'm pretty sure that today I'll be nagging my husband to fry up some bacon so I can have my first BLT of the summer, too.

I really hope that you've got your own tomato garden (or at least a farm stand or farmers market) to visit for your own fresh tomatoes this summer!

No comments: