Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thankful Thursday--November 10

I try to be thankful throughout the week, and more often than not, I forget what I was thankful for long before I get around to writing my Thursday blogpost.  This week, though, I've managed to remember most of what I've been thankful for (yay!).

First, I'm thankful that J and I live in a community that places value on building sidewalks and walking trails.  Yes, Lexington may have recently been named the most sedentary city in America, but the local government has put so much effort into developing a system of walking trails in recent years.  On Saturday, J and I stepped out of our back gate for a quick walk on our local trail.  About 3/4 of a mile into the walk (typically 2.5 miles around the trail and back to our gate), J mentioned that he was kind of hungry.  I suggested we call in an order to a local barbeque place.  He (or I...we're not sure) suggested we walk there to pick it up. We cut across the grounds of the Christian school next to our park and walked on a nice, wide sidewalk to another walking trail about a mile from ours.  At the edge of that trail, J crossed the street to the restaurant while I waited and walked a little more with Zep.  Then, we found our way home a different way, but always on nice sidewalks.  Total walk:  4 miles, maybe a quarter of a mile of it 'off-road'.  For a city that hasn't always been friendly to walkers, we were pretty impressed.  Tuesday, we followed our trek up by walking to our local polling place to vote before work.  Total walk that day: 2.5 miles, all on a walking trail.

Secondly, I'm thankful for my brother, my dad, my grandfathers, and everyone in our country who've given up their own lives to give the rest of us the freedom to pursue our own version of happiness.  Happy Veterans Day tomorrow!

Finally, I had the longest day yesterday.  In fact, I divided it into sections in my mind and gave J updates as each section was accomplished.  I started the day at a 7:00 a.m. meeting and didn't finish until I'd finished a 4:00 - 7:00 p.m. decorating shift for the Holly Day Market.  In between, I got to share Stella & Dot with some folks, I got to spend a couple hours at work, I got to speak to a DAR chapter about our DAR Schools, and I got to be crafty and creative.  At some point, I think around 10:30 or so, I was tired and ready to call in the rest of the day and just take a nap.  But then I realized--I get to do all of these things today.  Every single bit of my crazy busy day is something I've chosen to do.  And I have crafted such a life for myself (and J has supported me in crafting such a life) that I didn't have to worry about taking a day off or asking anyone permission to make it all happy.  It's in moments like that one that I realize how very blessed I am, and I remember to be thankful for those many blessings.

What are you thankful for this week?

No comments: