Saturday, November 12, 2011

Saturday smells like...turkey and chicken

This Sunday marks the return of the Chili-Brownie Cook-off to St. R.  Now, I don't know how long the break has been (at least three years), but the folks at our church who remember the Chili-Brownie Cook-off seem pretty excited that the tradition has been revived.  J, of course, is never one to miss an opportunity to cook, so he's been working on his entry all day. 

For starters, he decided to make a turkey chili, so he went to Kroger this morning to get everything he needed.  (Did I mention how well my grocery shopping went this week?  Yeah, that clearly wasn't enough...)  By the time I got back from my DAR meeting, he had a stock pot full of turkey and vegetables cooking down, as well as lentils and other vegetables in the crockpot.  When I looked in the fridge, I found a whole chicken rubbed with herbs.  Later, when the turkey stock had finished cooking down, he used some of it to brine the chicken.  I imagine this is going to be one tasty bird when he roasts it tomorrow (yes, he brought it into the bedroom to show me his handiwork...I thought it only fair that I share with you!)!


I'll let you know tomorrow how the turkey chili does in the cook-off!

No comments: