Thursday, November 27, 2008

Still Counting...

If you're just now sitting down to read about our Thanksgiving adventure, you'll want to scroll down to the post titled "Counting our blessings" and start there. We'll wait...

Our morning aboard Amtrack continued with a "Gobble, Gobble" wake up call from the conducter at 7:30, and shortly after, we were priviliged to view a beautiful sunrise as we traveled through the bread basket of our great country. (Actually, after some debate, I've decided to rename this part of Indiana the Corn Flakes Box of our country--we passed miles of corn fields today!)








We arrived in Chicago shortly after the end of the 75th McDonald's Thanksgiving Day Parade, which made the drive from the train station to the hotel interesting (the parade route was between the two and was blocked all morning). We did get checked into our room in time for me to watch the last hour of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on NBC, a tradition in our house when I was growing up. I am committed to respecting the turkey, but when Santa enters Herald Square in the goose/sleigh, I'm ready to start celebrating the Christmas season!

J and I were famished, so set out to grab lunch. Turns out, there isn't much open in Chicago on Thanksgiving, so we settled for Dunkin Donuts. I don't believe I'll ever forget my Thanksgiving pizza and donut! We also walked around the city a bit, taking pictures and visiting the ChristKindl Market, which is a great array of (mostly) German craftsman and food booths.

In a bit, we're heading out to a restaurant the concierge downstairs found for us, then it is an early night, as I've got quite the itinerary for us tomorrow!

No comments: