Monday, October 11, 2010

O beautiful for spacious skies...

Note: As I mentioned the other day, I am on a bus tour of the southeastern United States with the DAR. I am blogging about the trip on our State DAR Blog, but decided I would cross-post them here, as well, since my posts on facebook might lead people to wonder why I have run away from home! I just submitted my fourth post for the other blog, so will post two a day here until I've caught up!

Day One, October 8--Travel to D.C.

Greetings!

Our State Regent has generously offered to share this space with me over the course of the next week as I take part in the NSDAR 2010 Schools Tour. I will accompany 72 other women, including our President General Merry Ann Wright and our very own Vice President General Sharon Withers, on a nine day tour of the Southeastern United States, with stops at Crossnore, Hindman Settlement School, Kate Duncan Smith DAR School, Berry College and Tamassee DAR School. I also look forward to visiting the Biltmore Estate and dining at the Martha Washington Inn at the end of the tour.

Like many of you, I am familiar with the staff and campus of Hindman Settlement School, but this will be my first visit to any of the other schools we support through donations of money, clothing, and Campbell’s Soup labels. I look forward to sharing the experience with the Kentucky Daughters!

The tour starts Saturday, October 9, at the close of the National Board of Management meeting. I am writing this first post on Friday at 5:00 a.m., having just boarded an Amtrak train in Maysville. I should arrive in D.C. in about thirteen hours and look forward to a good night’s sleep before heading back out of town tomorrow! If you have questions along the way, please comment on the blog or send me an email!

P.S. It is now just after 1:30 p.m., and I have to add that for all of the benefits of air travel, there really is no better way to see our country than by rail. I have a completely new appreciation for the beauty of West Virginia, as we spent much of them morning traveling through the visually stunning New River Gorge. I will send this post on to our webmaster as soon as I get a reliable wi-fi signal, and hopefully you will be reading it soon!


Title: America the Beautiful, words by Katharine Lee Bates

No comments: