Monday, October 11, 2010

...for amber waves of grain...

Note: These posts are cross-posted from another blog where I am blogging daily about my trip. I was slow to realize that other people might be interested to learn more about my trip, or the DAR, so I am posting a couple a day until I catch up! Read about the first day here.

Day Two, October 9, 2010 --D.C. to Roanoke, VA

Greetings!

The 2010 NSDAR Schools Tour is underway! We left Washington at noon today, armed with box lunches (and wonderful terry cloth “bibs” that cover your entire front and lap so spills are easily contained—I think I see a new project for our Veterans committee!). We are divided into two busses, and our President General will spend half the trip on one bus, and then she will swap her seat with the First Vice President General so that all on the tour can mingle with both. Today, I sat with my roommate, of Georgia, and immediately behind Kentucky’s own Vice President General and another VPG from New York.

Today’s route took us south into Virginia to Roanoke, where we have stopped at the Hotel Roanoke for the evening. This hotel has a wonderful history, built in the 1880’s by the predecessors of the Norfolk Southern Railroad. The railroad closed the hotel in 1989, but it was renovated and reopened in 1995 by Doubletree, who partnered with local government, Virginia Tech, local businesses and former patrons who looked forward to the reopening of their hotel on a multi-million dollar renovation and restoration of the facility.

I could easily imagine why Kentucky’s early settlers fell in love with our home state, as the rolling hills of Central Virginia look much like Central Kentucky!

This evening, we will gather for dinner and (hopefully) a quick workout before bed. Luggage is to be outside our door at 6:00 a.m., so I think that on this trip “DAR” will certainly stand for “Dress And Run”! Tomorrow morning, we will head to Crossnore School in Crossnore, NC. I look forward to attending Chapel with the students, followed by lunch and a tour of the campus!

Title: America the Beautiful

No comments: