Saturday, October 16, 2010

America! America!

Note: These posts are cross-posted from another blog where I am blogging daily about the NSDAR 2010 Schools Tour. I was slow to realize that non-KSDAR folks might be interested to learn more about my trip, or the DAR, so I am cross-posting here, too. Read the previous posts in chronological order here, here, here, and here.


Day Five, October 12, 2010--On the Road, Kentucky to Alabama

Greetings!

I had the song lyrics “six days on the road” stuck in my head today, I suppose because we have settled into the middle part of this ‘road trip’ and particularly because today was almost entirely on the bus. We left Hazard, where we stayed last night, at about 8:00 a.m. and were soon headed south on I-75 into Tennessee. Our comfort stop at the Tennessee state line included a lovely walking path and many ladies took advantage of the opportunity to stretch their legs. The exercise was a good thing, though, as upon our return to the bus, we were rewarded with some of our KSDAR State Schools Chair delicious Irish Potato Candy!

We stopped for lunch at Piccadilly Cafeteria in Chattanooga, where we were greeted by ladies from the Chattanooga Chapter waving a DAR sign! I must say that the receiving line outside Piccadilly was the most unique site I’ve seen on this trip!

After lunch, the drive to Guntersville, AL, was pretty brief (just a couple of hours!), so I was able to join some of the others on a walk around the community and lake on which it is situated. The weather is warm for October, but the clouds we saw earlier in the day had cleared and the fun and fellowship were much enjoyed!

This evening, the Alabama Daughters treated us to a wonderful social hour, and we enjoyed dinner with KDS staff. It is an early night, for which we are grateful—tomorrow promises to be a 14 hour day, and we want to be at our best to greet the children at KDS!

Title: America, the Beatiful

No comments: