Sunday, June 7, 2009

Payin' yardsale prices for each golden memory

J's mom came to visit this weekend, and we were at a bit of a loss as to what to show her about our adopted hometown. In general conversation Friday evening, she mentioned something she'd picked up at a yardsale. Now, I've never been a big yard saler (not a word, I'm sure), but many of the bloggers I read regularly show off their fabulous yard sale finds. In fact, the Nester posted her recommendations for yard saling (another non-word, I know) just last week. So when D mentioned yard sales, I remembered the Nester's post and the signs I saw in Paris, KY, on Friday advertising the Highway 68 400 mile yard sale this weekend, and our Saturday plans quickly fell into place!


Lucky for us, Saturday was a beautiful day, and J was happy to drive us down to Wilmore with the top down. I found a pretty hobnail lamp at the first sale (talked them down to $2) that will look great in our guest room with a new lamp kit and shade. Then, we hit the jackpot at the home of an artist with an old barn packed full of old chairs and pottery. J's mom bought a few McCoy pottery pieces, while I picked up these copper mugs. Then, I dragged J out of his napping place in the sun to check out this chair and dresser. The chair, which needs some minor refinishing and a set of casters was a steal at $15. The dresser needs more work, but at $25 was too good to pass up, too. It's just the right size to replace our bathroom vanity. (And doesn't it look great with the small apothecary jars I picked up for $4 each at Michael's today?)

After buying the dresser and realizing it wouldn't fit in the car, J dropped us off at the next yard sale and returned home to get D's truck. I didn't get much at the last sale, but paid only $2 each for this mirror and silver Paul Revere bowl, so I can't complain there, either.

In all, a great day, and I've got a couple more projects to keep me busy this summer, too!

Title: Yard Sale, by Sammy Kershaw

No comments: