Thursday, August 9, 2012

It's the great pumpkin plant!

So...I was a day or two late in taking this picture and then I forgot to blog when I got to work.  So welcome to...Wordless Thursday.  Um...just go with it!

Remember last year when we had a pumpkin plant out front?  It ended poorly for the plant, probably because it kept being moved and its delicate little flowers fell off early.  I was so bummed that I decided to better our odds for this year, an after Halloween I dropped all our pumpkins off the side of the porch in hopes that we'd have another try.



Success!  In fact, thanks in large part to the mowers leaving it alone and just mowing around it, it's doing really well!  We've got more than half a dozen flowers and I'm hopeful something good comes of it!  If anyone has tips on how to ensure those lovely flowers turn into pumpkins, please let me know!  I'd love to be able to grow our own this year, and maybe even supply our friends!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Punkin:

If you just "dropped" commercial pumpkins, chances are, they were hybrids, which won't breed true. You may get SOME kind of gourd, but it may not be anything that looks like a halloween pumpkin. But, who cares? You've got a beautiful plant and wonderful flowers! If a pumpkin comes, rejoice in it, If one doesn't, rejoice in the leaves and flowers.

dad