Friday, May 22, 2009

Lookin' for adventure

One afternoon when I was a little girl, my mom took me on a road trip that she titled "a wild goose chase". Now, I think I'd heard the term before, but to this day when I hear the words "wild goose chase", I picture riding in the car with my mom across the eastern shore of Maryland. I don't remember exactly where we were going, but I do remember that we went to hear someone selling timeshares at a resort in return for a 'free' gift.

This weekend, J and I are headed out on our own wild goose chase. Last month, I attended the Rolex Kentucky Three Day Event, where I found a booth promoting a new resort in Western Kentucky. Through a brief conversation with the sales rep, I learned that for visiting the resort for just 45 minutes, I could receive a new driver (golf club), and that J and I would receive Visa gift cards for our time and effort. Ever my mother's daughter, my eyes lit up at the prospect of a 'free' golf club! I quickly signed us up and have been looking forward to our visit ever since.

Fast forward to this weekend. I quickly realized that the trip to visit the resort was halfway to J's folks home. The drive down is typically too long to do a trip home in a regular weekend, especially if we planned to kill few hours on our wild goose chase, but the prospect of the three day Memorial Day weekend made perfect sense.

So we're heading out on our adventure this evening, with a visit to Rough River State Park tonight and our resort tour in the morning, followed by the drive to Poole tomorrow afternoon. I'm looking forward to digging into their family history with J's grandmother and a visit with my best friend from college, and J is looking forward to a round of golf with his dad. We'll be back Monday, hopefully with my new golf club in tow!

Happy Memorial Day, and please take a moment to remember those who fought for our freedom!

Title: "Born to be Wild", by Steppenwolf

No comments: